Friday, June 10, 2011

Best Buy customer database corrupted, says service rep

HD Gurua

By Gary MersonHD Gurua

Attention Best Buy online shoppers: Your shipping info may be tainted.a

When I went to check-out on bestbuy.com Thursday, I discovered the "ship to" address information was changed. No longer were orders to be sent to my address, but instead to some guy in Houston. The corresponding phone number had a 713 area code, also Houston.a

What was going on? Was I hacked? Was this guy stealing my identity? Or at least my ability to buy electronics? If I had completed the order without catching the alteration, the chap in Texas would have received all the items I ordered.a

Calling Best Buy customer service, I asked if their accounts were hacked. As many know, Best Buy used the Epsilon email service, and its customer email database was hacked as part of the overall breach.a

However, the representative replied, no, this was actually caused by a glitch in their system which resulted in the intermingling of customer information. I did not receive any notice of such a glitch. Furthermore, the rep's response indicated this problem was not limited to just my account, but the rep was unable to say how widespread this problem is. a

I contacted a Best Buy spokesperson by email, who replied promptly, but without detail. In fact, the news may have come as a surprise. "We will need time to connect with the right people internally to determine what is really going on and to capture an accurate picture of this," he wrote.a

Assuming that this is just a case of database corruption, you should look into your account now, and make sure the shipping address and phone number read correctly. And even if this isn't some sort of hack to steal electronics (it's unlikely, but we're not ruling it out), it's probably wise to change your login password, just to be on the safe side. I did.a

More from HD Guru:a

Mitsubishi’s 2011 HDTV line and new 3-D glasses announced CEA wants to eliminate free HDTV LG Blu-ray player review 40- to 42-inch TV buying guide

Artikel yang Berkaitan

0 komentar:

Post a Comment